Author: Ilse Fraussen
Facilitated by the teacher
The aim is to enhance team working skills by creating a physical structure.
Whiteboard, Lego, assignments, pen & post-its
- The teacher outlines the task to the students:
- The students work in groups to build a structure with Lego.
- One member from each group will be given a piece of paper with their assignment on it.
- The students should not show or tell their assignment to the rest of the class.
- The students will have 20 minutes to build their structure. They cannot speak during the building process.
- The teacher separates the class into groups of 5 students. Each group sits around a table with a box of Lego and their assignment.
- The students start their build.
- The teacher stops the activity after 20 minutes and the students stop building.
- The teacher asks all the groups to guess the assignments of all the other groups.
- The students now reveal their secret assignments with each other.
- The teacher discusses the activity with the students and asks them to reflect on how the groups worked together.
In this activity the secret ‘assignment’ makes the collaborative process more challenging for the students. It emphasises group communication, leadership dynamics, conflict, cooperation, patience and problem solving strategies.
Inspired by: https://toolbox.hyperisland.com/lego-challenge