The aim is to train the students’ associative competencies by asking them to present themselves in a different way from that which they are used to.
Whiteboard & bag with different things
- The students form one big group.
- The students take one object each from the bag.
- The students pair up with someone who has the same-coloured trousers as them or someone wearing ones that are a similar colour.
- The teacher demonstrates how to present oneself based on the object chosen from the bag.
- The students are given 2-3 minutes to present themselves based on the object they have chosen.
- The student must listen attentively to their partner.
The teacher asks the students to reflect and discuss “How it felt presenting oneself in this alternative way and if they told their partners something different from that which they usually told others about themselves”.
The activity could be done using online tools such as Padlet, virtual whiteboard and breakout rooms in Teams/Zoom. Smaller groups should be used when doing this activity online to avoid students having to wait a long time to present themselves.